Lemon-Poppy Soft Wheat Muffins
Simply delicious and nutritious! These muffins freeze well, so make a batch and keep the extras for another lemon- or poppy seed-theme day.
Makes 12 muffins
3/4 cup fat-free lemon yogurt *
Grated peel of 1 lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups soft wheat pastry flour †
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup fat-free milk
Buy the book This recipe is featured on page 145
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the yogurt, lemon peel, eggs, sugar, dry milk, poppy seeds, and oil in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour and baking powder and beat on low speed, adding the milk slowly until well blended.
- Place 12 foil baking cups on a baking sheet or line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Spoon in the batter, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
Per muffin: 120 calories, 5 g fat (<1 g sat fat), 4 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium
* See the appendix for recommended brands.
† Arrowhead Mills Organic Pastry Flour or any other brand of soft wheat (not whole wheat) flour with fiber is fine. You can also use Hodgson Mill Oat Bran Flour.