Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
A complete meal stuffed in a pepper!
4 red or yellow bell peppers *
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces lean ground turkey
1 can (15 ounces) fat-free refried beans
1 1/2 cups mild salsa †
3/4 cup cooked bulgur wheat (page 228)
1/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
Buy the book This recipe is featured on page 193
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and dry the peppers. Slice off the tops, remove the cores and seeds, and place in a baking pan.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for a few seconds. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, salsa, and cooked bulgur and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Stuff each pepper with 1/4 of the stuffing and top with 1/4 of the cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is sizzling and golden.
321 calories, 10 g fat (3 g sat fat), 19 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 51 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium
* Pick short, stout ones that will stand upright.
† See the appendix for recommended brands.