Baked Tilapia with Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers
Prepared by The Culinary Team @ Griffin Hospital Dining Services.
This is a very tasty way to bake tilapia with a southern French flavor. All the ingredients for this quick and easy dish are mixed right in the baking pan, so you'll have just one pan to clean.
1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
Pinch of salt
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes *
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup kalamata olives
2 tablespoons drained capers
2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thickly sliced
6 cornichons † (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Buy the book This recipe is featured on page 202
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the fish and pat dry. Salt lightly (use no more than 1/8 teaspoon).
- In a baking pan, stir together the diced tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, water, olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, oil, garlic, cornichons (if using), and pepper.
- Add the fish to the baking pan and spoon some of the sauce on top. Bake for 30 minutes, basting once or twice.
292 calories, 10 g fat (2 g sat fat), 34 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 83 mg cholesterol, 928 mg sodium
* See the appendix for recommended brands.
† These are the baby dill gherkins in the pickle aisle.