Shrimp Pasta Primavera with Basil Pesto
This tastes fantastic served cold on a summer day!
40 frozen medium easy-peel shrimp
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
10 ounces Hodgson Mill Organic Whole Wheat Spirals with Milled Flaxseed
1 bag (16 ounces) frozen chopped vegetables of your choice
Buy the book This recipe is featured on page 209
- Quickly thaw the shrimp by rinsing in cold water. Peel, pat dry, and set aside.
- In a food processor, mince the basil, cheese, pine nuts, garlic, and salt. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and drizzle in 1/3 cup of the oil with the motor running. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a cast-iron grill pan with olive oil spray and place over high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the shrimp and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (do not overcook). Add to the bowl with the pasta.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and sauté the frozen vegetables for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and pesto to the pasta and shrimp and stir to blend.
606 calories, 30 g fat (4 g sat fat), 29 g protein, 59 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 93 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium